This term we switched to a “gradeless” classroom system. I have reflected on the success of this and written about it here. What it means for students is that we are focused on feedback and mastery of skills, not grades, We have been learning together, made lots of mistakes, but are slowly figuring out what works for us. Below are some of the good and bad rubrics and assessment tasks we have used this term, as described by students and myself. We would love to hear feedback or suggestions in the comment section! Mr M.

1. Student Created Rubrics – Mastery of a picture fiction book

In class we have been making rubrics for our learning. I think our most important one so far has been “Being a skilled reader for an audience”. We made this rubric after we picked a picture fiction book we thought younger students would enjoy. We read it with Dylan & Jasmine (student teachers) and they recorded us. After that they picked us off one by one to ask us what we did well and didn’t do well on the rubric.

We made the rubric using a really quick LAUNCH Cycle to create some questions on the sheet to say if our reading skills were advanced or had areas of concern. Some of the goals are “able to read story fluently to enhance the enjoyment for listeners” and another one “Correct use of commas, full stops and brackets (punctuation). Can also emphasise key words. So now we can practice well because we know now what we need to improve on so we can become a skilled reader. – Heath

2. 100 word challenge – ZIPPY!

In class we have been  challenging ourselves by self assessing our 100 word challenges and working collaboratively. I personally have found this a great use of my time because, I have had trouble finding what I need in my writing and proof reading . This is just my opinion. – Daniel

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

3. Peer Assessment Rubric – Sustainability Project

A student from the 4/5 classroom next door bravely stood in front of our class and shared his Powerpoint movie on litter. He shared his marking rubric with us, and we unceremoniously scribbled it out. We decided it would be too subjective to decide where each criteria fell on his 5 point scale, and that we were only interested in excellence. Anything else fell into the “needs work” category. We decided that poor, ok, and well done were largely irrelevant. Noah’s presentation was excellent, with only a few images not suiting the mood of the presentation. He took this feedback and below is his final edit. -Mr M.

4. Buddy Class Peer Assessment – ScreenIT Student Created Rubric

Our buddy class (3/4) are entering Scratch games into the Australian ScreenIt competition. They created a rubric with teacher Vanessa Whitington based on the required outcomes of the competition. Our students then played the games and filled out the peer feedback rubrics to help buddy students highlight and fix problems. Below is a game made by Natalie. – Mr M.

5. Space vs Poverty Discussion – HASSSelf assessment bingo-19h9m6b

This is a peer assessment rubric I put together early in the term for our class. We used flipGrid to record discussions after students attempted to collaborate to share knowledge and opinions on the topic. Our year 7 students assessed and gave feedback to our younger year 6 students. Most students worked hard, but technology (Wifi filter system) let us down and made using FlipGrid and assessing chore. We should’ve created the rubric together, it would have been simpler and more highly valued/understood by students. Live and learn. – Mr M.

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

One student in particular struggled to create a discussion. It was three long weeks later when he finally recorded the following. It was worth waiting for.

6. Poetry Self Assessment Bingo

This term we have been looking at different types of poems. Each day in week three we had to write one type of poem because five poems were due in five days (and extra if needed). I choose to write a Haiku, Bio Poem, Diamante, Blackout Poem, Concrete, Freeverse and a rhyming poem (aabb & abab.)

In the end we had to fill out a Self Assessment sheet to see how many elements of poetry we included.

Hope you enjoy my poems! – Kaylah

In this task we asked students to score at least 16 points on a bingo card to show that they had used multiple poetry elements in their writing. This was our first real self assessment and as such, was slow and tedious to watch. But students got their eventually. Students were asked to write five different poem types in five days. Many tried to cut corners and only do “what they already knew” (one student wrote five Haiku poems). When it came time to self assess they realised they hadn’t learned or used enough elements, and went away to create new poems with specific elements to complete the self assessment. I would edit the outcomes a little, but absolutely do this again. – Mr M.

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

7. Invent-A-Sport LAUNCH Cycle

Now this rubric is bad. It was deliberate, but bad. It was intended to show students, parents & other staff that I wasn’t just making stuff up. It has specific outcomes, curriculum links, feedback types and measures of success. But it is not student friendly. It is ugly. I love the simplicity of the student created rubrics. I particularly love that they not only understand them, BUT ACTUALLY USE THEM! We have since collaborated to unpack what an excellent LAUNCH Cycle looks like, and I’ll share this rubric later if I remember to upload.

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download